Approximately five years ago, our Dad (and father-in-law) was diagnosed with Parkinson's Disease. We are running a half marathon on December 11th in his honor and to raise money to help find a cure for Parkinson's. We will share our experiences training for the half marathon, and hopefully meet our goal to raise at least $5,000 towards a cure. Thanks for your support!

Monday, October 10, 2011

My first 5K

10/9/11 PurpleStride Finish Line
Chris and I ran our first race last Sunday.  We decided that if we are going to run a 1/2 marathon we should probably get practice with some smaller races first.  So we signed up, kind of last minute, for the San Diego  Pancreatic Cancer Action Network Purple Stride 5K.

Before the race started we listened to stories of pancreatic cancer survivors and family members motivate the crowd to rally for a cure and donate to the cause.  Everyone was decked out in purple, holding signs, and wearing shirts supporting, honoring, or remembering close friends and family.  We felt a little out of place in our non-purple attire, but were moved by the love around us and proud to be participating in the race.

The run itself went pretty well.  Chris did a great job keeping up with a faster group.  I was about 5 minutes behind him for the majority of the time.  I'm not a fast runner to begin with, but I also have a pretty bad cold, which made the whole breathing while running aspect challenging.  Regardless, I finished in about 36 minutess, which was well within my goal time of under 40 minutes for the run.

All in all, a great way to join the running community.  And we finished off the day at Karl Strauss brewery, our latest favorite.

No comments:

Post a Comment